Wilhelmina Geddes


Wilhelmina GEDDES (1887–1955) was born in Drumreilly, Co. Leitrim. Her family moved to Belfast, where she was educated at Methodist College. She studied at the Belfast School of Art and the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art. In 1910 she had exhibited an illustration at the Arts and Crafts Society of Ireland exhibition in Dublin. She worked at An Túr Gloine from c. 1911 to 1922. She exhibited at the RHA and the Ulster Academy, then moved to London in 1925 and opened a studio. She designed windows for churches in Belfast, Enniskillen, Dublin and Larne. Her principal works are the Duke of Connaught's war memorial window in St Bartholomew's Church, Ottawa, a window in Ypres Cathedral in memory of King Albert of Belgium, and The Children of Lir window, com­missioned for the Ulster Museum. After many years of poor health Geddes died in London in 1955.
One window by Geddes can be found in Mayo in Curraun, Achill.

Our Lady Queen of the Universe Church, Curraun

St. Brendan 1924 (single light)
(designed by Miss Geddes; painted by Miss Rhind, but for the chalice painted by Healy)

Home
Harry Clarke
Harry Clarke Stained Glass Studios Ltd.
Joshua Clarke & Sons
Sarah Purser
Alfred Ernest Child
Michael Healy
Wilhelmina Geddes
Hubert McGoldrick
Richard King
Patrick Pye