Michael Healy


Michael HEALY (1873–1941) was born in Dublin. His father died when he was a child and he went to work at fourteen in a sugar-boiler's and then with a spirit bonder. In 1897 he joined the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art. In 1898 he moved to the RHA School, where he won the Academy first prize for a drawing from life. The following year he obtained a post as illustrator for the Irish Rosary, published by the Dominican order. The editor recognised his talent and arranged for him to visit Florence for further study. He returned to Ireland and in 1903 joined An Túr Gloine, at the invitation of Sarah Purser, where he studied under A.E. Child; he worked there for the rest of his life. Examples of his work may be seen in Blackrock and Clongowes Wood Colleges, Letterkenny and Loughrea Cathedrals. He also executed commissions for New York, Chicago, and Wellington, New Zealand. Besides his stained glass work he contributed sketches and cartoons to the Leader and exhibited at the RHA 1912–14. He lived almost as a recluse. He died at Mercer's Hospital, Dublin in 1941.
Two windows by Healy, originally located in the Covent of Mercy Chapel, Ballyhaunis are now located in Emmaus, Sisters of Mercy, Ballyhaunis.

Emmaus, Sisters of Mercy, Ballyhaunis

St Ita 1924 (single light)

The Good Shepherd 1924 (single light)

Home
Harry Clarke
Harry Clarke Stained Glass Studios Ltd.
Joshua Clarke & Sons
Sarah Purser
Alfred Ernest Child
Michael Healy
Wilhelmina Geddes
Hubert McGoldrick
Richard King
Patrick Pye